Video Recording Instructions for Oral Presenters
- Have a quiet location set for the recording time to minimize background noise
- If possible, have your computer plugged in with a hard-wired internet connection (Cat-5).
- Have light cast on you from the front or side. Do not be positioned in front of a window or light brighter than your front and sidelights.
- Plug your headset into your laptop or desktop computer. If your computer does not have a microphone, please attach an external microphone via USB or 3.5mm jack.
- Keep your microphone muted until you are ready to speak. Allow 10 seconds before speaking once unmuting yourself.
- Allow 3 seconds prior to speaking when switching slides.
- Ensure that the platform you are using can export the video in 1080p or higher to allow for post-recording editing if needed.
- Depending on the program you are using, your camera may block a portion of the slide. Please review slide content prior to recording to ensure all content is in view.
Instructions for Applications or Platforms
- Prepare – Create your slides, and then prepare to record your lectures.
- Download and Install – Go to loom.com and click on “Get Loom”. It is recommended to use the Pro version of Loom so you can export your file in 1080p format. The free version is too low of quality. (Hint: There is a 14-day free trial version). Follow the instructions to sign up, verify your e-mail and download the Desktop App. Run the program installer and install the program. You may need to have Admin rights on your computer to download and install the App.
- Record – Login and select your desired camera and microphone, open up the presentation that you want to record and click “Start Recording”. When you are finished, click the red square on the left of the screen. A new browser window will pop up with your video recorded. Use the Download button to download the MP4 file to your computer. Export your file at a minimum 1080 HD video (or higher) resolution.
Please Note: The VIS 2020 Template is designed so that you can move the location of the camera to the right side. Please move your video bubble prior to starting the recording. The camera feed can only be overlaid on the slides and not positioned to the side. If you are using a different template, please keep this in mind.